The massive Thanksgiving apartment fire at 27th and Highway 2 was one of three fires in the past week that were caused by careless smoking. Deputy Fire Chief Jeanne Pashalek suggests smoking outside and disposing of your cigarette in an approved Underwriters Laboratory ashtray. Pashalek also said to dunk your cigarette in water when you are done and put it in sand or whatever non-combustible material you have in an ashtray. She also said never smoke where oxygen is being used, such as people using oxygen tanks to breathe.
LFR Deputy Chief Jeanne Pashalek talking about smoking safety